Pages

Click to view the Christian Legacy Collection

Click to view the Christian Legacy Collection
Psalm 145:3-6 Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; His greatness no one can fathom. One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts. They will speak of your glorious splendor or your majesty, and I will mediate on your wonderful works. They will tell of hte power or your awesome works, and I will proclaim your great deeds. NIV

Monday, August 30, 2010

I have an old church bulletin...

I have an old church bulletin, well actually, I have a few. I saved them from years and years ago. There is just something about them. Names that are familiar. The style of writing is familiar. Even the font is something that takes me back. These were the  days before computers were all the rage and  we sang holding a shared hymnal. I came to know the Lord personally when I was twelve and decided I needed to join a church and so I did.  Reading the bulletin was the very first thing I did every Sunday after I walked through church doors. I grew up in that church and attended every Sunday. Honestly, I passed a l-o-t of notes written on those bulletins sitting on the back pew for quite a few years.   I even remember hiding my face in them when some friend sitting next to me cracked me up in the middle of the sermon and I just knew I was going to get in trouble.   But there is something about having these bulletins now, grown with children of my own, that make me smile. There are words on there: Doxology, Invitation, Deacon On Call, Offering, Puppet Ministry, Acteens, "Just As I Am", etc... that became such apart of who I am. How fortunate was I to have been embraced by this body of believers who taught me how to walk with the Lord and challenged me on so many levels. These bulletins represent pastors, teachers, deacons, and friends of all ages who I will forever be grateful to. Now as I raise my children in a Christian home, I reflect on those experiences and strive to be the person who God would have me become hoping that my children will too one day reflect on their days of worship in the church with fond memories.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have any of these posted online?

    Acteens... you are Baptist.

    Here is my interest. My church with contemporary worship (overnight the term has changed to "band lead worship"), will sometimes throw the old people a bone and do a -traditional service. Except it's not like the services I remember. I'd like to pull out an old bulletin. I wish I had some of them.

    Maybe we need a website where people could upload stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had hung on to a lot more of those bulletins and a few other things. I just have a couple. BTW, I have many fun memories of Acteens.

    ReplyDelete